First Presbyterian Preschool & Kindergarten has been providing educational opportunities and nurture in a Christian environment to young children since 1946. Classes are offered for toddlers, 2, 3 and 4-year old preschool students, as well as 5-year old kindergarten students. School hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Early morning drop off (7:45-8:45 a.m.) and lunch bunch (12:00-2:00 p.m.) options are also offered each school day.
The preschool and kindergarten programs strive to enhance growth in many areas: religious, social, emotional, physical, and intellectual. All children are involved in as many age appropriate learning experiences as possible. These experiences include working in learning centers in addition to planned activities to improve both gross and fine motor skills, language arts, and concrete experiences with number concepts. Learning through play (manipulation) is a major teaching method; and teachers plan age-appropriate activities for their classes.
Each child at First Presbyterian Preschool and Kindergarten is nourished in an atmosphere of caring guidance and positive reinforcement, with particular care given to develop a sense of enthusiasm as well as motivation. The program fosters the desire to learn.
School goals are to:
- recognize the needs of the individual and to promote a positive sense of self-worth in each child
- provide each child with a favorable environment that will stimulate and enrich both personal growth and cognitive development
- provide a variety of experiences which encourage active and creative participation
- develop within each child the ability to express his or her feelings and to communicate with others
- encourage cooperative behavior while respecting the rights of others and assuming new responsibilities
- demonstrate greater independence in everyday activities
8 months - 2 year olds- 2 or 3 days a week
2 year olds- 2,3, or 5 days a week
3 year olds- 3 or 5 days a week
4 year olds- 5 days a week
Kindergarten- 5 days a week